So today begins the first day of my second semester at Richland College. I eagerly entered my Intro to Engineering class with the theme song to the A-Team playing in my head, ready to tackle any challenges. I took my seat within the "learning T" and prepared my notebook for notes. Within the first ten slides, there was the quote by Marianne Williamson about fear. It made me realize that I'm too much of a dreamer, and not enough of a doer. I've planned, created, and manufactured so much inside my head but have not brought a single idea to life. So today, that has changed. It's almost midnight, and I lay down listening to the snores of my children as I begin to write this blog about my learning journey into the world of manufacturing. Thank you to those who have decided to sit back and enjoy the ride.
My first semester was an overload of new information. The lead instructor of Manufacturing introduced us to machines, processes, and professions I had no clue existed. He provided us with great opportunities by bringing us to different shops within the Dallas, TX area and introducing us to managers and owners to see how a shop runs. I decided to pick a few of their brains for more information about what manufacturing really is. With their permission, this blog site will have plenty of information available to you in the near future. Until then, hopefully you'll just read my ramblings. The first two machines I became intimate with were the manual mill and lathe. I use the word intimate because manual machining is an art form. And the lathe became one of my lovers, taking up many hours throughout the week. Picking up a skill that possessed so much history in this country excited me. Learning to use these skillfully crafted machines made me feel a sense of accomplishment. I learned to reform pieces of material, and turn them into something useful and valuable. Our first project was a model steam engine. Throughout the learning process, there were broken and rejected parts. It never discouraged me because it just meant more time using the machines. The calipers and micrometers judged my work viciously as I began to put all the pieces together. Brass, aluminum, spindle speeds, end mills, turning tools, facing tools, chip formation; all became common terms for me. I finished my model steam engine with pride... and a little bit fear. 2300 rpms at 100 psi was the end result! Beautifully crafted in America by the hands of a US Veteran. I thought that had a nice ring too it. Machining is starting to become a passion. And it is way more than just machining. There is AutoCad as well! Another art form that began to envelop my mind and heart, opening my eyes to new venue of professions. There are so many careers within the manufacturing community. I have yet to figure out which path to actually take. Good thing I still have lots of learning to do. Thank you for reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment